JOB POSTING: Operations Manager
The search is on for an Operations Manager to join the team at Make Music Matter.
Position Title: Operations Manager
Location: Toronto, Winnipeg, and/or Ottawa
Reports to: CEO
Make Music Matter are seeking to recruit an Operations Manager to work with its flagship program, Healing in Harmony, as it scales out within and beyond the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
Make Music Matter’s Healing in Harmony music therapy program is centered on the belief that music can be an integral part of a community-driven, holistic healing model. Participants in our flagship program are survivors of sexual violence and other traumatized and marginalized populations.
Working in tandem with a trained psychologist and music producer, participants write, record and professionally produce songs about their emotions and experiences.
The process has a profound effect on both the psychological healing and the restoration of a supportive, healing community.
Our artists are advocates, publicly disseminating their music through local radio broadcasts, social media, CDs, concerts and globally through our record label, with the aim of reducing stigma.
We are now in the process of scaling the Healing in Harmony program throughout Africa and the Middle East through a hybrid model of social franchising and direct delivery as Make Music Matter.
To ensure effective management of programs, build governance and administration systems and policies to support scale-up, the Operations Manager will provide oversight and leadership in the design in the implementation of Make Music Matter’s programming in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Rwanda, Turkey and beyond. In collaboration with the CEO, the position will actively contribute to the overall scaling strategy and program development with an emphasis on ensuring quality control and increased program funding.
PROGRAM STRATEGY, DIRECTION AND IMPLEMENTATION
● Together with the CEO and Board Chair, provide leadership, oversight and guidance on program implementation strategy and execution
● Lead on the development of a project management system and operational tools
● Quality control: Ensure programming meets minimum standards and requirements, in alignment with externally recognized best practices and partners
● Provide oversight and management of development of key in-country relationships, partners, franchisees and donors
● Provide support and mentoring for field staff where needed
● Maintain review of program performance, monitoring and evaluation procedures, outputs and agreements
● Provide assistance to program sites as required
PROGRAM DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT
● Strengthen organizational capacity for implementation of scaling strategy and operational practices
● Support the implementation and monitoring of the scaling strategy
● Ensure program site compliance with donor management and reporting standards along with the CEO
● Along with the CEO, help to identify long-term strategies with key partner organizations
● Help oversee community of practice and iterative learning strategies from key partner scaling sites
● Conduct new assessment and evaluation trips if and as needed
● Appropriate supervision and motivation of performance of key staff from implementation sites
● Develop and support institutional and private donor fundraising development strategies in accordance with Make Music Matter’s programming and scaling goals
● Oversee the development of fundraising proposals and budgets
● Identify and establish long term fundraising strategies with donor agencies
● Develop and maintain relationships with established and potential partners INGO’s
● Oversee the development of funding proposals and budgets
● Identify and direct resources necessary for scaling strategy and sustainability needs to be fulfilled
● Establish a funding database to effectively monitor the status of all funding potential and grants received
SYSTEM BUILDING AND MAINTENANCE: ADMINISTRATION AND GOVERNANCE
● Help update and maintain along with CEO good governance practices
● Help iterate along with CEO robust administration systems in relation to scaling strategy
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERTISE
● University degree or
● College degree or equivalent professional post-secondary education preferably in International Development or Relations
● Min 3 years experience of management experience in humanitarian or international development programs with leadership responsibilities
● Successful track record in procuring support from a wide variety of donor and funding agencies
● Experience in monitoring and evaluation tools, systems and methodologies relevant to Make Music Matter’s mandate
SKILL AND ABILITIES/COMPETENCIES
● Excellent English writing and verbal skills for proposals and reports
● French proficiency a plus
● Strong diplomacy and interpersonal skills
● Ability to work within diverse teams across multiple time zones
● Self-starter and problem solver
● Comfortable working at a distance
● Willingness to travel to potentially challenging / conflict zones
Salary and Benefits:
● Salary will be on a contract basis and commensurate with experience and qualifications
● Part-time: approximately 0.5 Full Time Equivalent (FTE)) TBD for 12 months
● Self-employed: There is the opportunity for this to develop into a full-time permanent position. This will largely depend on the execution of this contract.
● Interested applicants are encouraged to send a CV and accompanying cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
● Please ensure your application email has the subject heading: “Operations Manager”
● Only those applicants selected for an interview will be notified
● For more information about Make Music Matter please visit: www.makemusicmatter.org
Deadline: Position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.